I was a bit
surprised when he added a normal piece to the two belly pieces I ordered, and
the fish pan outweighed the one-kg weight by a small bit. He told me it was one
kilo the bill for which would be five hundred bucks. I nodded at him, and
thought he added that piece to make it one kilo. However, I was in for more surprises!
Instead of
scaling or cleaning up the portions immediately as all traders normally do, he
started cutting the portions into the customized pieces per my standing
instructions. And he didn’t cut the other piece that he added to the palla earlier!
Assembling
all the customized pieces, he then started cleaning up piece by piece;
completing the task quite faster than I expected, he put those pieces into the
fine polythene packet neatly. As I took out the five-hundred note from my shirt
packet I suddenly stopped on my action.
He made the
packet ready, but did not include the piece he added during weighing.
“Hello
friend! Why didn’t you put that piece?” I asked him as righteously as I
thought.
The trader
gave me his usual smile, but not as spontaneously warm as always, I perceived.
“That piece is not for you, Sir!”
“But how’s
that? It was one kilo after including that piece!”
“No, no
sir! I used it only as a habit, maybe unawares!”
"Now you're fully aware! So make amends!"
"Okay, if you insist!" He acted instantly, surprising me. He weighed the extra portion and announced the verdict, "it's more than three hundred grams!
That confounded my confusion and I was steadily getting angry and angrier.
“But then,
the two pieces I bought must be much less than one kilo!” I retorted, for I was
genuinely befuddled by the methodology he used and I witnessed, and why.
The trader
seemed a bit annoyed now as well as the other customer waiting patiently for
his portions. “Okay! If you have doubts I’ll weigh it again!” And he did that,
putting up the cleaned customized pieces on the scale. I saw the weight coming
to slightly less than nine hundred grams.
“So you see now! It’s much
less than one kg? Come on old friend, include the piece that you correctly added.” I said.
“No sir!
That piece isn’t yours!” he handed out the packet to me now.
“Okay, in
that case take money for nine hundred grams!” I offered the note to him.
Seemingly
angry now, the trader put back the packet on his wooden stand and said looking
up at the other customer perhaps for support. “What are you saying sir? Haven’t
you seen I cleaned the pieces in front of your own eyes?” he again looked at
the other customer for moral support.
I was not
in a mood to give up yet! “That’s part of your job! Even otherwise, those
scales hardly have any weight!” then, with my temper
The trader looked
resigned now. “Okay! You take your money back and I keep the cut pieces
whatever be my losses!”
That made
me raging angry and I ordered, “you can’t do that! That’s my fish and I’ll have
it, even if it means some loss of money!”
The other customer piped in this time saying to the trader, “yes, don’t do that!”
So I took the packet back, he kept the money and I walked away with the parting remark without waiting for his reaction and making a vow never to return to that fish shop, “damn! I never had such a fishy experience before anywhere in the fish markets of the city!”



Comments
Post a Comment
Hi! Welcome! Please comment what you feel! 😊