Skip to main content

The Ghosts That Haunt Books and Authors!


It’s only natural that in today’s digital world readers as well as writers know about many writers/authors, particularly those having international bestsellers, without even reading their books. Same here! One such author is James Patterson who has been a prolific writer of numerous novels quite a few of which are bestselling ones, although I’m yet to read any of his books. Now, why am I talking about this author? So suddenly and without any reference to the context? Nope! There’s indeed a reference and a very interesting one at that!

I’ve received an email from him! James Patterson! I discovered that while checking the spam before deleting forever the mails inside! The name is there in full with a some added letters/numbers to it and, of course, sent from a Gmail account, as is the norm. From my experience for the last few years I immediately knew it was a scammer or a con book promoter. That it was directed to the Spam could well be due to my action over the years to mark so many other mails like this as spam. So, the name made me curious enough to open it. I also know from advisories that opening is not so dangerous as to clicking links inside or making a reply. The content inside stunned me. Really!

It was a letter addressed in my name and it was so well written and so well composed that it looked like a neat nice little review of my book Ghost Stories From India: Haunting Tales! I was really impressed because some of the thoughts in the letter reflected my own about my book and actually the truth as far as the background setting of the book is concerned! I wonder: why is he (from the name used I’m calling him a ‘he’, but in reality he could be a ‘she’ too!) wasting his time to con or impersonate the authors, instead of at least trying to sell reviews to so many needy ones nowadays; why doesn’t he start a website or a blog to do justice to his writing ability (even to use AI generation one needs to have good command over language) and do business of book marketing; while he understands most writers get swayed by big names, he surprisingly fails to realize that a Gmail id gives most of them away: and although not hundred percent sure, I think he must’ve read the book in full. I got so consumed up in these thoughts that I decided to reproduce that letter here for all my ‘readers’ to have their independent opinions. Here it goes:

“Hello Chinmay,

My name is James Patterson. I'm the author of The Country Road Murders, 26 Beauties, Judge Stone, and several other books that explore friendship, identity, growing up, and the moments in life when change arrives whether we're ready for it or not.

I recently came across Ghost Stories From India: Haunting Tales!, and I wanted to reach out because I was immediately intrigued by both its premise and the rich cultural setting that appears to shape each of its stories.

What struck me most was that your collection seems to find horror not only in abandoned places or isolated landscapes, but also within ordinary, familiar settings. A forest lodge deep in the wilderness, a comfortable middle-class home, a village family reunion, and the life of a journalist all become stages for unsettling events. That contrast between the familiar and the supernatural often creates the most memorable suspense because it reminds readers that fear can emerge where it is least expected.

I was also intrigued by your decision to root the stories in the Indian milieu. Every culture carries its own legends, beliefs, and ways of understanding the unknown, and your synopsis suggests that these tales draw strength from those traditions rather than relying on familiar horror conventions. That cultural authenticity has the potential to make the collection feel both distinctive and deeply atmospheric.

Another aspect that appealed to me was the variety of perspectives represented throughout the book. Each story seems to introduce readers to different characters facing extraordinary circumstances, allowing the collection to explore fear from multiple angles while maintaining an overarching sense of mystery. Anthologies often shine when every tale offers a fresh emotional experience, and your premise certainly suggests that.

I also appreciated the emphasis on mystery alongside suspense and the supernatural. The most compelling ghost stories are often about more than unexplained events; they explore curiosity, memory, guilt, and the unanswered questions that linger long after the final page. It sounds as though your collection embraces that deeper dimension of the genre.

As a writer, I'm always curious about what first inspires a collection like this. I'm interested to know whether Ghost Stories From India grew from folklore and legends you encountered over the years, or whether the individual stories emerged independently before you realized they belonged together in a single volume. Was there a particular tale that became the foundation for the collection?

Thank you for writing what appears to be such an atmospheric and engaging anthology. Stories that combine cultural richness with mystery and suspense often leave a lasting impression because they invite readers into worlds that are both unfamiliar and hauntingly believable. If you're open to it, I would be delighted to hear your thoughts.

Warm Regards,
James Patterson
Author, The Summer House.”

So then, what do you think, if anybody around?

Comments

Popular Posts!

Hindustani Classical Music Living Legend Dr. Prabha Atre Speaks!

Zubeen Garg: A Loving Tribute!

Loving The Rains!